Monday, August 4, 2014

Summer's Fleeting Moments

(Written and Posted on MyBigCampus on July 8, 2014)
Here I sit, choosing a initially stormy Tuesday to get started preparing for all of my new students in the Fall of 2014.  Fall?  Check that.  Only people in the world of education can call August 1st "fall", but it is what it is.  Today I am 24 days away from the start  of the fall semester.  AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! 24 days?  Perhaps I should have chosen a much earlier Tuesday. :)
In all seriousness, I am feeling terrific about my progress today. Funny how I forget how much I love what I get to do for a living.   It always seems "hard" for me to get started in the summer but once I do, it feels amazing.  I get excited.  I smile.  I laugh.  I look forward to seeing colleagues. I look forward to getting back the students I have already had and getting to know the ones who will be new to me. I look forward to reading the writing they will do and sharing mine with them.  Most importantly, I look forward to re-creating a wonderful community of learners in my classroom and discovering all we can accomplish. Because when it comes right down to it, I love to TEACH because I love to LEARN. I do.  I really do.  Call me a nerd if you want; I embrace that label with all of my soul!!! :}
So as I wrap up my academic work for today, I thought I would do what I have wanted to do for years....begin a blog for my students to read. It is just as much for me as it is for you, anyone who reads this.  A recent discovery in my personal learning journey is that I enjoy writing.  Just writing.  I have almost always been a journal keeper, but now I realize how much I want to write other things:  Poetry, fictional prose, non-fiction prose, "reports"...and blogs. I think there are many teachers of this beast we call "English Class" who, quickly and sadly, loose track of the writers they once were or wanted to be.  I did.  Now I have found her again. :)


Enjoy the next 24 days my friends.  I plan to as I become a more proficient user of the wonderful  tools available to all of us at Wes-Del this year....iPads and Macs! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment